Education k-12, DISASTER RECOVERY
Monroe County School District K-12 Smithville School Campus
On April 27th 2011, a category EF5 tornado carved a path through Smithville, Mississippi, resulting in 16 fatalities, numerous injuries, and the destruction of significant community facilities. Reportedly the most powerful tornado to hit the state of Mississippi since 1966, the storm had wind speeds reaching 205 miles per hour. Smithville’s K-12 School was devastated by the damages caused by the tornado, leaving local students, faculty and administrators without facilities. Broaddus & Associates was selected to provide Program Management Services to rebuild all of the Smithville K-12 School facilities for the Monroe County School District as a part of their tornado recovery program. These services involved the construction or restoration of temporary school facility and safe shelters, football and baseball stadiums, classrooms, a cafeteria, greenhouse, technology center, physical education building, vocational and agricultural shop, and band hall.
Of particular note, Broaddus & Associates guided Monroe County School District through the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) application in order to build an athletic facility that also serves as a shelter to protect the student body and faculty from future weather events. The application generated $2.65 million to construct the 18,000 SF monolithic dome shaped structure, which will be constructed to exceed all FEMA 361 Standards.
Our services for Monroe County School District include:
- Preliminary Damage Assessments alongside Federal and State Emergency Management Officials
- Grant application, submission and management
- Managing the repair of all damaged facilities/building
- Managing the design and construction of new facilities and repair projects
- Coordinating multiple funding sources, including FEMA PA funding
- Mitigation funds, MEMA funding, grants and insurance
- Coordinating MEMA, FEMA and Grant approval processes
- Managing Architect, Engineer and Contractor selection