Local Government

The Alamo - Program Management Services

Broaddus & Associates is serving as program manager for the complex $450M endeavor to reclaim the mission of one of the most important historical sites in the world – the Alamo. The program will transform Alamo Plaza into a place of learning and reflection that honors early missionaries, indigenous people, and fallen combatants of the famed 1836 battle for Texas independence. Our project professionals are deployed at the project site in downtown San Antonio under the direction of the Alamo Trust. Our team was selected by the Alamo Master Plan Management Committee, which includes the three development and funding entities for the program. These include the Alamo Endowment, the Texas Government Land Office (GLO), and the City of San Antonio. A significant function of our role is to bring together the vision and expertise of these entities.

The program stretches across multiple lots within the urban site, and includes a new world-class visitor center and museum along the western edge of the historic footprint of the Alamo. In addition to the museum, The Alamo Plan project includes extensive site work within that footprint, the creation of a new civic plaza including street improvements and modified building access and delivery docks, as well as historic structure improvements. The primary tenants of the program are as follows:

Museum & Visitor Center. 
The 80,000 SF facility will serve as the world’s largest exhibit on the Texas Revolution, and will be located on the Crockett Block across the street from the Alamo. In addition to the gallery spaces, the building program includes the entry, ticketing and security checkpoint for the historic site, as well as facilities for a large-scale media-based experience. The buildings will also include ground level public retail spaces and a rooftop terrace and restaurant overlooking the entire Alamo footprint and church. The museum will house the priceless collection of Alamo and Texana artifacts donated by musician Phil Collins to the Texas GLO in 2014.

Preservation of the Alamo Church & the Long Barracks.

Although originally a Spanish mission-era church, the Alamo Church has become the most recognizable structure on the grounds for its role in the 1836 Battle of the Alamo. Changes to the structure reflect its later role as a U.S. Army Quartermaster warehouse and eventually a memorial to the Alamo defenders. The Long Barrack served as the quarters and offices of the Spanish missionaries, and it is where many members of the Alamo’s garrison made their last stand in 1836. The Alamo Plan includes significant preservation efforts that include notable restorations of these structures to reflect their purpose at the time of the battle.

Plaza Street Improvements. 
The program includes removing current entertainment attractions from the battlefield, and shifting ownership and care of these areas to the Alamo. This includes closing portions of surrounding roads which currently run directly on top of the battlefield so they can be incorporated into the overall grounds.

Alamo Plaza & Outdoor Museum. The program incorporates significant improvements to the outdoor space surrounding the complex. This will include moving utility lines, repair and relocation of the 56-ft tall Alamo Cenotaph, and converting part of the plaza from an urban square to a shaded pedestrian space. Erected in the battlefield area in 1939, the Cenotaph will move 500-ft south of its current location to restore the 1836 battlefield footprint and properly honor the Alamo defenders.

The $450M plan is projected to be completed by 2024, which is the 300-year anniversary of the original construction of the Alamo.